Tuesday, October 14, 2008

D-inner pangs..

The other day, I was having dinner with a friend when a huge family descended on us for a birthday celebration. Well, at a nearby table that is. A 20 ft table with families arranged along the length. Individual families merged with the others, the table too long to interact fully with each other, hierarchies of men-women and children maintained, with the individual identity and confidence best expressed in a large group. But they were all loud and seemed to be having fun.

Quite the microcosm of our large Indian families.

I guess I am dreading the social imbroglio my sister's marriage day will turn into.. More with her consent.

Osho

2 comments:

- Ubiquitous - said...

I like it though, through all the clanking, clutter and ahaos of cutlery, one can figure who's the jolly one, who is not in terms with whom, who is glancing shyly and whom and the rest...

...until one quickly looks away before someone from the super huge khaandaan spots him / her looking earnestly their way.

:D

osho said...

:) I'm completely beyond the machinations of the large indian family. After my sister's marriage and its attendand complications.. Larger powerplay, bitchings, false-front teeth display (+- persona).. and with it all, some genuine affection.